Saturday, May 23, 2020

Short and Simple Reviews: Creepy Hollow (Books 4-6) by Rachel Morgan


This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)



A Faerie's Secret (Creepy Hollow, #4)
Calla Larkenwood wants nothing more than to be a guardian, but her overprotective mother has never allowed it. When circumstances change and Calla finally gets to join a Guild, she discovers guardian trainee life isn’t all she hoped it would be. Her classmates are distant, her mentor hates her, and keeping her Griffin Ability a secret is harder than she thought. Then an initiation game goes wrong, landing Calla with a magical ability she can’t control. She needs help—and the only way she can get it is by bargaining with the guy who just discovered her biggest secret.

Join beloved characters and new heroes as the bestselling Creepy Hollow series continues.



Review
I had a hard time getting into this book. I loved Vi's story, but this book switches perspective. Now, we follow Calla. I had a really hard time getting used to Calla at first. I couldn't connect with her, and I couldn't quite grasp the plot. I thought the plot was going to follow Calla trying to get into a Guild, but that was quickly resolved. I kept putting the book down because I wasn't feeling it. But, I didn't give up. It took me a while to get into Vi's story too. In fact, I didn't LOVE the books until book two. I'm glad that I gave Calla's story a chance because once I sat down and started reading again, I became invested in her story. There are a lot of interesting plot elements and mysteries that promise a great start to a new arc, and the book took quite a few surprising turns! This book ends in a cliffhanger, and I really want to know what happened! So I do plan on continuing the series.

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it



A Faerie's Revenge (Creepy Hollow, #5)
Still reeling from a shocking revelation, guardian trainee Calla Larkenwood finds the threads of her world unraveling further when she’s accused of a horrifying crime she didn’t commit: A deadly magical disease has entered the Guild, threatening to wipe out every guardian—and someone is intent on framing Calla for it. With the Guild Council focusing their investigation on her instead of searching for the real criminal, Calla watches her dream of becoming a guardian rapidly slipping away. Time is running out, and as the lines between good and bad, right and wrong, begin to blur, whom can she turn to for help? 

Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository / IndieBound


Review
I listened to this book entirely on audio.
I think I liked this one a little more than book one. I got used to Calla as a character, and it didn't take me as long to get into this book. In fact, once I started listening, I didn't want to stop. This did have one of my least favorite tropes--with Calla being blamed for something she did not do--and the first half of the book felt off-track from the main plot of book one, but I still really wanted to know what was going to happen. I don't love Calla as much as Vi from the previous trilogy, but she is certainly growing on me. I'm not quite on board with Calla and Chase. I'm not against it, and I don't have issues with Chase (he really feels like a different person), but I just don't ship them as much as Vi and Ryn. Overall, this was a great addition to the series. It was full of action and twists and I look forward to continuing the series.

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it






A Faerie's Curse (Creepy Hollow, #6)


A witch’s curse. A world-ending prophecy. A daring rescue mission. Don’t miss the heart-pounding finale to Calla’s story!

On the run from the Guild of Guardians, Calla Larkenwood and her team of fellow outlaws plan a daring rescue operation into the Seelie Court itself. As if that isn’t enough to keep them busy, the power-hungry Princess Angelica has begun preparations for a horrifying prophesied spell that will forever change both the magic and non-magic realms.

When Calla is blindsided by an unspeakable tragedy before the rescue can be carried out, she struggles to remain focused on her mission. She believes she’s reached her lowest point—until a witch reveals the final blow: she has cursed Calla’s magic. With time running out, can Calla save the one she loves and stop the prophecy from being carried out before the curse claims her life?
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository / IndieBound



Review
Whew. A lot happened in this book and by the time I got to the end I really didn't feel like it could tie everything up. I don't think I'm fully satisfied with the ending because there are still some unanswered questions and the world still feels like a mess. This book was quite action-packed and it did not pull punches. I'm shocked at where this book went and how dark it got. I am still in denial about some things. I do feel like Calla's story has come to a conclusion (at least her story at the forefront. I'm sure we will see her again). I can clearly see how much she has changed from a girl desperate to join the Guild and afraid of her own abilities, to learning her strengths away from the Guild. I'm still meh about Calla and Chase. I'm fine with them together, but I just don't ship them, and their romantic moments just made me roll my eyes. Overall, I liked this book and Calla's story was a great continuation of the Creepy Hollow series. I hope to read the next books soon and meet new characters!

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it




No comments :

Post a Comment