Saturday, July 25, 2020

Short and Simple Reviews: Starling, Let the Storm Break, & Goddess Legacy


This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)



Starling (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #3)The dark, seductive conclusion to the thrilling Secrets of the Eternal Rose trilogy!

In the final book in the trilogy, Cass and Luca are back in Venice trying to find the Book of the Eternal Rose to clear Luca's name and keep them both out of prison. But the hunters become the hunted when the Order of the Eternal Rose figures out their plan. Filled with twists and turns, danger and torrid romances, this novel brings the Secrets of the Eternal Rose novels to a thrilling, heart-pounding, sexy conclusion. 



Review
So I have come to the last book. I can say that while I did not love this book, I liked it a little better than book two. I felt like more happened in this book and Cass's jealousy did not take over a huge chunk of the story. From the first book, I expected this series to be a historical mystery, and I loved the historical elements, but it's clear from this book that it has turned into a historical mystery with a touch of paranormal. That's not a bad thing, it just wasn't what I expected. The book just isn't that realistic and plenty of scenes weren't very believable. I can certainly say that Cass has grown since book one. As for romance, we do get a conclusion to the love triangle. She does choose a guy, but it takes her a long time to do so. I don't know how I feel about her choice. I like the guy she chose better than the other but [ highlight to view spoiler] Luca never got the character development he needed for me to really like him. I just saw him as an okay guy because we never really got to know him. But I like him better than Falco because Falco gaslit Cass in the last book and he doesn't like it when Cass disagrees with him. [end of spoiler]. The ending itself, though, was very satisfactory. I think it ended on a good note and overall I am glad that I finished this series.

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it





Let the Storm Break (Sky Fall, #2)Vane Weston is haunted. By the searing pull of his bond to Audra. By the lies he’s told to cover for her disappearance. By the treacherous winds that slip into his mind, trying to trap him in his worst nightmares. And as his enemies grow stronger, Vane doesn’t know how much longer he can last on his own.

But Audra’s still running. From her past. From the Gales. Even from Vane, who she doesn’t believe she deserves. And the farther she flees, the more danger she finds. She possesses the secret power her enemy craves, and protecting it might be more than she can handle—especially when she discovers Raiden’s newest weapon.

With the Gale Force weakened by recent attacks, and the power of four collapsing, Vane and Audra are forced to make a choice: keep trusting the failing winds, or turn to the people who’ve betrayed them before. But even if they survive the storms sent to destroy them, will they have anything left to hold on to?

Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository / IndieBound


Review
This wasn't a bad book, but the whole time I was reading this I felt like I was forcing myself to read it. The more I read, the more I realized that I just didn't care about these characters. Now, part of this could be middle book syndrome. We do have a lot of common middle book issues, such as the main two protagonists being separated most of the book and another character coming in to disrupt the romance. This book did have a lot more action scenes than typically seen in middle books, but I found myself skim-reading the action scenes. I think that is partially because the abilities never felt like they were fully explained. This book series has a unique concept to work with, but instead of learning how everything works, it always felt like the wind just conveniently did whatever they needed to move the book forward. The romance was also annoying. I was able to deal with it in book one, but until this book, I didn't realize how quickly they got together. I think it was less than a week, and now they are supposed to be together forever? I found it to be ridiculous.
I don't plan on continuing the series, which is a shame because I reread book one with the purpose of finally finishing this series. 
I hereby give this book
2 Stars
Meaning: It was okay






The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test, #2.5)
For millennia we've caught only glimpses of the lives and loves of the gods and goddesses on Olympus. Now Aimée Carter pulls back the curtain on how they became the powerful, petty, loving and dangerous immortals that Kate Winters knows.
Calliope/Hera represented constancy and yet had a husband who never matched her faithfulness....

Ava/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and yet commitment was a totally different deal....

Persephone was urged to marry one man, yet longed for another....

James/Hermes loved to make trouble for others - but never knew true loss before....

Henry/Hades's solitary existence had grown too wearisome to continue. But meeting Kate Winters gave him a new hope....

Five original novellas of love, loss and longing and the will to survive throughout the ages.
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository / IndieBound



Review
So, I didn't enjoy reading this book. Mainly because it just felt really unnecessary. I admit that it's been almost seven years since I've read the last book in the Goddess Test so my memory was a little fuzzy, but I expected this to be an anthology of mythology retellings tied with the Goddess Test world. And, yeah, that is pretty much what this was. There are five stories each about a specific god/goddess and the book starts off with the start of the gods and ends a few years before the start of The Goddess Test. I like mythology retellings, but these weren't very interesting retellings. The stories dragged (even the shorter ones), the writing felt too distant, and I found that I just did not care about what was happening. The stories also focused on the love life of the gods which, yes, there is a lot to work with there, but I feel like there are things about the gods that are a lot more interesting. Again, it's been a while since I've read the series so maybe the series just isn't really my cup of tea anymore.
I didn't like this book as much as Sisters Red, but my reading tastes have changed since I've read that book, so my original feelings may no longer be the same. I'm likely not going to continue the series. I liked this book, but as it's not that memorable, I'm not moved to read the companion books. Maybe if I see them at used book sales I'll pick them up, but for now I'm not planning on continuing the series.

I hereby give this book
2 Stars
Meaning: It was okay



No comments :

Post a Comment