Saturday, March 21, 2020

Short and Simple Reviews: Goldie Vance Series


This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)

Today I'm reviewing volumes 1-4 in the Goldie Vance series!

Goldie Vance Vol. 1
GOLDIE VANCE IS ON THE CASE

Sixteen-year-old Marigold "Goldie" Vance has an insatiable curiosity. She lives at a Florida resort with her dad, who manages the place, and it's her dream to one day be the hotel's in-house detective. When Walter, the current detective, encounters a case he can't crack, together they utilize her smarts, skills, and connections to solve the mystery...even if it means getting into a drag race, solving puzzles, or chasing a helicopter to do it!   Goodreads / Amazon  / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository / IndieBound

Review
Lately, I have been wanting to read more graphic novels and comic books and this one popped up on my radar. I enjoyed reading this volume but I didn't love it as much as I expected to. This is a fun book and I loved the cast of characters. The art was also great. What I wasn't as wowed by was the mystery. I didn't feel like I was solving the mystery with Goldie, and that's what I normally look for in mystery books. The book also went a strange direction in the last half and some parts weren't as believable. I did like how it included the space race. Overall, this was a fun read. 

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it




Goldie Vance Vol. 2

Nancy who? Goldie Vance is on the case! The adventures of the teen sleuth continue in this second volume of the hit comic book series.

The adventures of Goldie Vance, teen super sleuth, continue in the second volume of this hit comic adventure. Collects issues #5-8 of the series.

Sixteen-year-old Marigold “Goldie” Vance lives at a Florida resort with her dad, who manages the place. Her mom, who divorced her dad years ago, works as a live mermaid at a club downtown. Goldie has an insatiable curiosity, which explains her dream to one day become the hotel’s in-house detective. When Charles, the current detective, encounters a case he can’t crack, he agrees to mentor Goldie in exchange for her help solving the mystery.

Eisner Award-winning writer Hope Larson (A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel) and artist Brittney Williams (Patsy Walker, A.K.A Hellcat!) present the newest gal sleuth on the block with Goldie Vance, an exciting, whodunnit adventure.

  
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository / IndieBound



Review
My feelings toward this book is pretty similar to volume one, that while I liked it, I didn't love it. This is again a fun book with a fantastic cast of characters, but the direction the volume went was, again, a little far-fetched. The mystery was very unique, but it didn't fully keep my attention. Like the last book, I like how it features the space race a little and how it both feels anchored in the past, but in a whole new timeline. Overall, it was still a fun read.
I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it


Goldie Vance, Vol. 3
Catch up with the coolest new girl detective on the block, Goldie Vance.

Sixteen-year-old Marigold “Goldie” Vance has an insatiable curiosity with dreams of one day becoming a detective. Luckily, she lives at a Florida resort with her dad, who manages the place, and with a rotating roster of guests and events, there’s bound to be some mystery afoot! With the Prescription One race in town, Goldie and her biggest rival, Sugar Maple, find themselves in an unlikely alliance to find who is sabotaging the drivers before the big event.

Eisner Award-winning writer Hope Larson (A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel) and artist Brittney Williams (Patsy Walker, A.K.A Hellcat!) are joined by writer Jackie Ball and introducing artist Noah Hayes in another exciting whodunnit adventure!



Review
This is my favorite of the series so far. There was so much more character development in this book than in previous books and the mystery felt classic and not as far-fetched as the previous two volumes. Goldie and Diane's relationship showed up a little more too, though it still feels like it is in the background. I overall enjoyed this one. I want to read volume four but it's currently "missing" from my library! Well, I'll just have to see when I'll get the chance to read it.
I hereby give this book
3.5 Stars
Meaning: I liked it, but it wasn't quite amazing



Goldie Vance Vol. 4




The adventures of precocious teen sleuth Goldie Vance continue!

Sixteen-year-old Marigold “Goldie” Vance has an insatiable curiosity and dreams of one day becoming a detective. Luckily for Goldie, with the St. Pascal Rockin’ the Beach Music Festival coming to town, there’s plenty of inexplicable shenanigans keeping her gumshoe brain busy, from mysterious power outages, to missing musicians, to Russian spies hiding in the shadows.

New York Times bestselling and Eisner Award-winning writer Hope Larson (A Wrinkle in Time: the Graphic Novel) along with co-writer Jackie Ball, and artist Elle Power bring you a rockin’ new mystery!

  
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository / IndieBound



Review
I did finally get this book from my library, though this is probably my least favorite volume in the series. It's still fun, the artwork is colorful, and the characters are adorable, but the story just lost me. Like the other books in the series, it was a little far-fetched, but I think I also didn't enjoy it much because I didn't quite understand the stakes and when the tension was meant to be high, the dialogue explained what was going on rather than the images. I found myself lost on more than one occasion. I did like that this book showed Diane and Goldie more. Granted, they were fighting most of the book, but Diane isn't included in the books as much as she should. I like how the plot mainly revolved around music and I like the overall '50s, almost pulp, vibe the whole series has (but with more diversity and without the sexism, racism, and any other -isms! So, much better than the actual '50s). The ending has a bit of a cliffhanger, but I have no clue when the next volume will be released. 
I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it

No comments :

Post a Comment