Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Bookish Sites & Resources

Hosted each week by That Artsy Reader Girl, it's a meme for listing the top ten for everything bookish.

Today's topic is supposed to be Bookish Discoveries of 2019, but I decided to create a list of various bookish websites I have discovered because I haven't gotten a chance to talk about many of these on here! (Of course, I will not be talking about the obvious site, Goodreads)

1. Libib

This is not just a book app/website, but I have found that this is a really helpful app for my books! It is both a website and an app and it is meant to keep track of your media libraries. You simply scan the barcode of your books (or any other media) to put it in your library. I have found it to be very helpful for when I go to booksales because I can simply search the app to make sure that I do not own a book so I do not come home with a duplicate! I have multiple libraries on the app--books, audiobooks, CDs, DVDs, and VHS tapes--but I find it the most helpful for keeping track of my books.

2. Bookish First
I have seen other bloggers talk about this site, but I first heard about it from eavesdropping on a conversation in a bookstore (and they did not mention the name of the site so I had to Google extensively), so in case this is news to anyone else, here we go! On this site, you read early excerpts and review the excerpt. By reviewing, you can enter to win an ARC of the book. Winning the ARC gets you the chance to review and gain points. With enough points, you can claim a copy of a book. So far, I have won two books, Fountains of Silence and Woven in Moonlight. I have yet to claim a book so I am not quite sure how that works, but so far I find this to be an interesting site!

This is another app/website that I need to explore more. I found out about this app through Epic Reads Insiders because Epic Reads gives free ebooks through this app. After keeping those ebooks for a while I decided to read one and found that BookShout actually pays per certain amount of words read. This can be redeemed for ebooks in the store. I have yet to redeem for an ebook, but I find the concept of this site interesting.

I have talked about PaperBackSwap on here a few times before because this is where I get all of my books for trade. I like PaperBackSwap because you get credit for trading books and can use that to get a book from another member. So you don't have to rely on choosing only from one person's trade selection. I used to do #booksfortrade on Twitter and would just get frustrated because people only seemed to ask for really hard to find items like ARCs of extremely popular books (sometimes over a year away and likely weren't even made into ARCs because they were so popular) or hard to find old ARCs from popular authors. Which are fine things to hunt for, but some people would expect to trade non-ARCs and quiet ARCS from 7 years ago for hard to find titles, which was very unrealistic. (There are some really good traders on Twitter, so don't take this as a negative of every trader on there, but I felt like they were hard to find). So, I do my trading on PaperBackSwap and so far I have gotten 241 books from the site (some which I trade back through the site). I will note that the site does not take ARCs, but you can trade paperbacks, hardcovers, and audiobooks (they also have sister sites for CDs and movies).
5. RBdigital

Okay, so this one is connected to the State Library of KS, but I think it also connects to other libraries so it is worth mentioning. I love this site! It's a digital audiobook site and there are so many options! A majority of the audiobooks I listen to come from here and it has really grown the number of books I am able to read!
6. Book Series Recap

This is such a handy website! The site has complete recaps for books so that when the next book in a series comes out you don't have to go into it with your faulty memory! It is a great way to remind yourself what happened in the book and they have a great number of books recapped!

7. Riveted

This is a pretty well-known site, but I still wanted to mention it. It's a lot like Epic Reads (which I didn't list because that one is super well-known) but it is run by Simon&Schuster instead of Harper. What makes this one different is how it offers free books to read every month. In December they even have a free full read every day. Sometimes you have to be careful because some of the free reads are only extended excerpts. I had problems in the past, back when they were PulseIt, where they would label a book as a free full read but it turned out to be an extended excerpt. This confused me more than a couple of times (this was during their December of free reads, too). I do think they are better at labeling what is an excerpt and what is a full read now. It is a great way to get access to some books.

8. NovelKnight's Preorder Incentive List

Okay, so this is a book blog and a bit different from the others I have listed, but this is such a great resource. I preorder books a lot and this is just a handy list to check every so often just to see if any of the books I've preordered have incentives to them.



Well, that's all I can think of for now! Do you have any favorite bookish sites?

1 comment :

  1. I didn't know about that Epic reads app. I need to check that out for sure

    ReplyDelete