Saturday, November 9, 2019

Short and Simple Reviews: The Near Witch, Passion Blue, and Light as a Feather


This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)
Today I have various short reviews for books on my Backlist 2019 challenge!

The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.

And there are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger-a boy who seems to fade like smoke-appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi's need to know-about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.

Part fairy tale, part love story, Victoria Schwab's debut novel is entirely original yet achingly familiar: a song you heard long ago, a whisper carried by the wind, and a dream you won't soon forget.
  Goodreads / Amazon  / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository


Review
I listened to a majority of this book on audio, reading the last few chapters in paperback. The audio was great and I really got the feel of the town of Near. The setting is really atmospheric and creepy and that really came through on the audio. The story has elements of storytelling and folklore, with a mystery. The mystery aspect made the pace a little slow, but the story was still intriguing. This book did have the trope of "someone being blamed for something they didn't do even though there's absolutely no evidence", which is one of my least favorite tropes. In this book, though, it was handled okay. Part of this comes from Lex's strength and courage. She knew that Near was pointing their fingers in the wrong direction and was willing to solve the mystery herself to make sure no more children. Overall, I did like this book. It didn't amaze me, but I think it's worth the read.
I hereby give this book
3.5 Stars
Meaning: I liked it, but it wasn't quite amazing






Passion Blue (Passion Blue, #1)"Be sure you know your true heart’s desire, or you may find yourself surprised by what
you receive."

This is the warning the Astrologer-Sorcerer gives Giulia when she pays him to create a magical talisman for her. The scorned illegitimate daughter of a Milanese nobleman, Giulia is determined to defy the dire fate predicted by her horoscope, and use the talisman to claim what she believes is her heart’s desire: true love and a place where she belongs–not likely prospects for a girl about to be packed off to the cloistered world of a convent.

But the convent of Santa Marta is full of surprises. There are strict rules, long hours of work, and spiteful rivalries…but there’s also friendship, and the biggest surprise of all: a workshop of female artists who produce paintings of astonishing beauty, using a luminous blue mixed from a secret formula: Passion blue. Yet even as Giulia begins to learn the mysteries of the painter’s craft, the magic of the talisman is at work, and a forbidden romance beckons her down a path of uncertainty and danger. She is haunted by the sorcerer’s warning, and by a question: does she really know the true compass of her heart?


Set in Renaissance Italy, this richly imagined novel about a girl’s daring journey towards self-discovery transports readers into a fascinating, exotic world where love, faith, and art inspire passion–of many different hues.

  
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



Review
This was an okay read for me. I did like this book, but it had difficulty keeping my interest. The pacing was a bit slow, which is expected for a historical book, and I couldn't fully connect with Giulia. Part of this was because I figured out early on that someone could not be trusted. I was constantly frustrated with Giulia because of this, and because it took her a while to understand what she wanted. I do like how this book discussed art in the Italian Renaissance, namely women involved in art at the time. I loved seeing this, and I loved seeing Giulia's passion for art. The book also took a different turn than usually seen in YA books. Even though I saw it coming, I liked that the author didn't put a typical ending on the book and the ending certainly fit the story. There is a sequel but I don't think I will read it. Like I said, this book had difficulty keeping my interest and I really don't feel like there's a need to continue the story.

 I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it



It was supposed to be a game…

Junior year is shaping up to be the best of McKenna Brady’s life. After a transformative summer, McKenna is welcomed into the elite group of popular girls at Weeping Willow High, led by the gorgeous Olivia Richmond. For the first time in a long time, things are looking up.

But everything changes the night of Olivia’s Sweet Sixteen sleepover. Violet, the mysterious new girl in town, suggests the girls play a game during which Violet makes up elaborate, creepily specific stories about the violent ways the friends will die. Though it unsettles McKenna, it all seems harmless at the time.

Until a week later, when Olivia dies…exactly as Violet predicted.

As Violet rises to popularity and steps into the life Olivia left unfinished, McKenna becomes convinced Olivia’s death wasn’t just a coincidence, especially when a ghost haunting her bedroom keeps leaving clues that point to Violet. With the help of her cute neighbor, Trey, McKenna pledges to get to the bottom of Violet’s secrets and true intentions before it’s too late. Because it’s only a matter of time before more lives are lost.



Review
I've had this book on my e-reader for a while, seven years to be exact. I did end up liking this book. It had some usual ghosty elements, but the concept of the deaths coming true felt unique. I was legitimately intrigued by this book, and I wanted to see how everything would get solved. The suspense within the ghosty scenes and the oncoming deaths was absolutely fantastic. While I was reading, this felt like a 3.5-star book, but after finishing, I knocked off .5 stars. I realized that while I liked the concept, the ending felt rushed and odd.
 I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it

No comments :

Post a Comment