Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: 3 Redesigns I Hate and 3 Redesigns I Love

Hosted each week by That Artsy Reader Girl, it's a meme for listing the top ten for everything bookish.

Today's topic is redesigns! While I like talking about redesigns a lot, there aren't many that I have strong feelings for, so I only have six today!
Hate
1. Across the Universe
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
I love the original cover and I'm still upset that they redesigned the covers before the last book came out!

2. Defy the Stars
Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
The first one looks so interesting! The redesign looks...a mess. It gets worse with each book in the series, too.

3. Fire & Flood
Fire & Flood (Fire & Flood, #1)Fire & Flood (Fire & Flood, #1)
The first one is simple but I really loved the title treatment and the colors really stand-out. The redesign is a creepy, photoshopped eye.


Love
1. The Adoration of Jenna Fox
The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1)The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1)
The original cover isn't terrible, but it doesn't say much about the book. Looking back, it honestly reads as contemporary. The redesign is more eye-catching and also fits the genre.

2. The Name of the Star
The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1)The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1)
The original cover is just a mess. There's a girl sleeping on what looks like the ground and a ghost dude (who I thought was Abe Lincoln the first time I saw this cover) just chilling. Yeah, it says ghosts, but it doesn't at all make me want to read it. There is a much better design at work in the redesign and it still has the chill factor to it.

3.White Hot Kiss
White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1)White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1)White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1)
I don't really love the redesign, but by golly, it is such a vast improvement over the last covers! The previous covers are horrible!

What are some redesigns you love/hate?

8 comments :

  1. I prefer the original cover for Fire & Flood, too. It's nice and simple. And if you've ever smelled feathers burn, it's also attention-grabbing! (Do NOT go off and burn feathers after you read this comment. They're super stinky. LOL).

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely like the original Flood & Fire cover, but I'm really partial to bright colors on dark backgrounds, too. Which also might explain why I prefer the old Defy the Stars cover, too. xD It really pops and draws my attention.

    Here's my TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I selected Across rhe Universe as well, but I selected the other redesign of book one which I actually prefer to the original. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops I did across the Universe too and picked the newer cover. Eek. :) Although I didn't know they changed cover designs midstream? That would irk me too! And to be honest I don't really dislike the original cover- it is nice with the stars in the background.

    I do like the first Defy the Stars though. And totally agree about The Name of the Star- that second cover is SO much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know they changed DEFY THE STARS. I don't know why they would when the original is so pretty and interesting!! I don't know if I love the new covers for the Maureen Johnson series, but that original one is TERRIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't LOVE the new covers for Shades of London, but they really made a good decision in redesigning!

      Delete
  6. I hate the new covers for Across the Universe. I literally still haven't even read Shades of Earth because I don't want to buy the ugly cover!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! I really hate that they changed the covers right before the last book came out!

      Delete