Saturday, June 1, 2019

Short and Simple Reviews: Defy the Fates, Her Royal Highness, and A Thousand Perfect Notes

This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)


Defy the Fates (Constellation, #3)

Third and final book in the Constellation series.  

Hunted and desperate.

Abel only has one mission left that matters: save the life of Noemi Vidal. To do that, he not only has to escape the Genesis authorities, he also must face the one person in the galaxy who still has the means to destroy him. Burton Mansfield's consciousness lives on, desperate for a home, and Abel's own body is his last bargaining chip.

Alone in the universe.

Brought back from the brink of death, Noemi Vidal finds Abel has not only saved her life, but he's made her into something else, something more. Not quite mech, yet not quite human any longer, Noemi must find her place in a universe where she is utterly unique, all while trying to create a world where anyone--even a mech--can be free.

The final battle between Earth and the colony planets is here, and there's no lengths to which Earth won't go to preserve its domination over all humanity. But together, the universe's most advanced mech and its first human-mech hybrid might have the power to change the galaxy for good.

  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository


Review
I have to admit that I did not like this one as much as the previous two. I still loved it, I gave it four stars, but that is one less star than the previous books. For some odd reason, I felt like I was slogging through this book and it felt like it had middle-book-syndrome, even though it's not the middle book in the series. The book starts off right away, continuing off from the cliffhanger from the last book. That part was edge-of-your-seat, I need to know what happens next, excitement, but it did not last long. That's what it felt like for a lot of the book. Every time a big moment happened it was over too quickly. I did not feel like we stayed long enough in certain moments and it made the pacing slower for me. Now, the pacing did eventually pick up closer to the end and a lot of exciting things happened near the end, but it was still quickly wrapped up (although there were some really interesting scenes). The ending was still a satisfying ending.

And again, even though the pacing was off for me, I still loved this book. I love the characters and there was a lot explored in this book, expanding upon the ideas on the previous books. There is a big focus on what it means to be mech, human, or both. The consciousness of a mech or a human, these scenes with Abel were some of the more interesting scenes in the book. There is especially a focus on morality, selflessness, and love. I still think that this book was great and all-in-all this is a fantastic sci-fi series. I hope Claudia Gray has another great sci-fi series being published because, after this series and the Firebird trilogy, I have high expectations for any sci-fi series she writes.
4 Stars
Meaning: I really liked it






Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)Millie Quint is devastated when she discovers that her sort-of-best friend/sort-of-
girlfriend has been kissing someone else. And because Millie cannot stand the thought of confronting her ex every day, she decides to apply for scholarships to boarding schools . . . the farther from Houston the better.

Millie can't believe her luck when she's accepted into one of the world's most exclusive schools, located in the rolling highlands of Scotland. Everything about Scotland is different: the country is misty and green; the school is gorgeous, and the students think Americans are cute.

The only problem: Mille's roommate Flora is a total princess.

She's also an actual princess. Of Scotland.

At first, the girls can barely stand each other--Flora is both high-class and high-key--but before Millie knows it, she has another sort-of-best-friend/sort-of-girlfriend. Even though Princess Flora could be a new chapter in her love life, Millie knows the chances of happily ever afters are slim . . . after all, real life isn't a fairy tale . . . or is it?

  
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



Review
This was such an adorable book and a perfect feel-good read! It reminded me of a Hallmark movie (except this book has a girl get the princess, not the prince, which unfortunately is not a Hallmark movie right now). I just loved the adorableness of the book and I even liked it more than Royals/Prince Charming. This book had the enemies to friends to more down pat and I loved the interactions between the characters. The only reason why this book did not get a full 4 stars was that it sometimes felt like scenes were skipped over and "enemies to friends to more" went too quickly for me to really invest in the relationship the way I wanted to. That being said, I still really enjoyed this book! If you are wanting to read a book that will make you feel happy, this one is a book that will do that!


I hereby give this book
3.5 Stars
Meaning: I liked it, but it wasn't quite amazing.



A Thousand Perfect Notes
An emotionally charged story of music, abuse and, ultimately, hope.

Beck hates his life. He hates his violent mother. He hates his home. Most of all, he hates the piano that his mother forces him to play hour after hour, day after day. He will never play as she did before illness ended her career and left her bitter and broken. But Beck is too scared to stand up to his mother, and tell her his true passion, which is composing his own music - because the least suggestion of rebellion on his part ends in violence.

When Beck meets August, a girl full of life, energy and laughter, love begins to awaken within him and he glimpses a way to escape his painful existence. But dare he reach for it?


Review
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but this was such a wonderful book, even though it hurt my heart. The characters in this book were all different, a bit quirky at times, but they were all their unique selves and they still felt like real people. I loved August's confidence in herself and how she never gave up on having Beck as a friend. I loved Beck's younger sister and I loved how Beck always wanted the best for her. This book has plenty of heartbreaking moments and tackles multiple tough subjects but I loved how throughout all of those terrible times, there was friendship. I want to read more from C.G Drews. I'm hoping to get The Boy Who Steals Houses for my birthday, but we'll see.

5 Stars
Meaning: It was amazing!

No comments :

Post a Comment