Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: First Ten Books I Reviewed

Hosted each week by That Artsy Reader Girl, it's a meme for listing the top ten for everything bookish.


Oh boy. This week's topic is the First Ten Books Reviewed. I joined the online book community in March 2012 at the age of fifteen. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who, at the age of fifteen, wrote coherent reviews. I was not one of them. In fact, I still can't write coherent reviews. 

When I first joined Goodreads, I also mainly joined to keep track of new releases. This meant that most of my early "reviews" were mostly GIFs and complaining about how this book wasn't out yet! Thankfully most of these "reviews" are gone because the books have since come out and when you have a review that is only a crying GIF people think that something terrible must have happened in the book.

I was really particularly proud of this review for some reason, so I actually saved it as a word document.

Dear Earth, 
Please do not blow up into a million pieces or abandon the people who have been with you for many generations on December 21st 2012 or any time after. For there are amazing books coming out after that December and if the humans die we will not be able to read those lovely books!!!! 
Sincerely,  
A concerned citizen 


Remember when we thought the world was going to end? I suspect this "review" was originally for Siege and Storm and I am counting it as review #1 for this list.


Okay, now for some other "reviews". I'm not really sure whether these are the first ten reviewed because Goodreads tracks the date I add/read a book, not the date I edited a review. I originally planned on just posting the reviews on this post to show you just how terrible they were, but I'll just give you the highlights! (If you want to see just how horrible they were, click the link. All quotes are word-for-word, typos included)


Endure (Need, #4)
Some highlights: I gave this book 4 Stars. I start with "OH MY DONUTS!" I compare a group of stereotypical guys from YA books at the time. I was really annoyed with Nick as I gave that special emphasis. I apparently posted a Yahoo Answers question that was in the book onto Yahoo Answers. Finally, "I know that i'm doing a terrible job at this "review" but I am on a time limit and have been writing most of this with one hand (due to ice cream)."

Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Some highlights: I gave this book 5 Stars. In the review, I mention that Tris and Tobias/Four fighting "both irked me and didn't irk me". My favorite part in this review is my comment on cliffhangers.  It was a tiny cliffhanger, "It wasn't like the main character got shot". Oh, young Jessica, you just didn't know what was coming, did you? Of course, I also complain about the fact that the next book wasn't going to come out until after the world ended and end the review with "I apologize for my very weird review but my excuse is... i'm very weird myself. Have a good day."



Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon
Some highlights: I gave this book 2 Stars. I identify "YA Book Syndrome" and this book followed the "After a tragedy (could be a family death,close encounter to death, or even a divorce) a girl moves to a new town (and usually ends up at a boarding school). While she's at school she meets the school's hottest guy, who is absolutely perfect in every way. But the guy has a secret :O he's actually a *insert supernal creature here* " plotline. I found this book to be very cliche (and I would likely hate it even more now) and ended my review with "Have a great day! P.S. I feel entirely sorry for the poor souls who read this". 

Existence by Abbi Glines

Some highlights: I gave this book 1 Star. Apparently, when I first started the review I both liked and hated the book. I used to word irked again in reference to the "relationship" in this book, I complained about how fast scenes went, and, again, I cheered about the fact that there was no love triangle. I ended the review with "I apologize for wasting your time with this review" and an edit: "I take that back. I DID NOT like this book".

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong
Some highlights: I gave this book 4 stars. I used the word "frexing" (which was fairly common after reading Across the Universe). I found the book "blah" compared to the Darkest Powers series. "I didn't like the references to drugs and making out and such". I also cried because I wanted the Darkest Powers characters to make an appearance.


Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock
Some highlights: I gave this book 4 Stars. This was the first book I won on Goodreads and the first ARC copy I ever received, so I think I tried a little harder to describe the events of the book. According to my review, I was surprised by how much I liked the book, but I was upset by some cliches. Yet, again, I was happy there were no love triangles. "I literally jumped with joy throughout the book because I didn't find any love triangles!" yet I felt "that there will be a dreaded love triangle in the next book. :( ". I ended the review with "Have a great tomorrow".

Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson
Some highlights: I gave this book 4.5 Stars. I ramble a lot in this review. Some favorite rambles: "I thought the whole Synesthesia was cool. I thought it was cool that she saw colors, shapes, smelled smells and such for certain things. Being how I am an art person obsessed with rainbows (yes, another unhealthy obsession) I thought it would be cool to have this. And I have read A Mango-Shaped Space which also had Synesthesia and thought it was cool when I read that. It was a good book by the way. It had no aliens, but it was a really good book" and "I could not put this book down (Much to the dismay of my teachers which I don't understand because they're the ones trying to get people to read but you have to do it on your own stinkin time!)". Again, I was very happy that there was no love triangle and it ended with a positive note and an apology.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Some highlights: I gave this book 2 Stars. I know this is an incredibly popular and loved series, but I did not like this book very much when I read it. In my review, I talk about how the book did a terrible job at explaining things and I was very upset by the romance. "The popular boy at school who screws with all the girls falls for the new girl at school who may be insane and they are going to live together forever and ever!" I facepalmed twice within the course of the review.


Angel Fire by L.A. Weatherly
Some highlights: I gave this book 3 Stars. Oh boy, there are some typos in this one. To name a few: "Book this one just irked me", "because of the whole angel the whole angel thing", and "here comes Seb strolling in ans we have a love triangle". Speaking of love triangles, I was not a fan of that. 


Small Observations About My Older Reviews:
I wrote all (or almost all) of my older reviews
like this.
I really liked
to hit the enter bar
every so often
because I guess I was a poet?
I also liked to use bold for emphasis
or ALL CAPS
or better
I
WOULD
DO
THIS?!
Sometimes I would convey emotions XD
*or actions*
I was really happy when there was
NO LOVE TRIANGLE
HOORAY!
Because nothing irked me more than love triangles, cliches, and cliffhangers!
DUN!DUN!DUN!
And I nevr seemed to spellcheck befor posting.
i especially forgot to capitalize the i's
because I typed up my reviews whilst eating ice cream with one hand.
I apologized for my horrendous reviews,
for making people read them,
and reminded them to
Have a great day!

P.S. I am sorry that you had to read this long and rambly post.



9 comments :

  1. Insurgent was a relatively early review for me too, definitely in my first year of blogging, though not in my first ten reviews.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/04/23/top-ten-tuesday-208/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. I don't think GR reviews are really meant to be great literary achievements! I use them to just get down some quick thoughts that might help other people decide if the book is worth reading or not. I definitely don't spend a lot of time on them like some people seem to. At any rate, it's fun to go back and read your old stuff, isn't it? Even if it makes you cringe? It helps you see how much you've improved over the years :)

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Dear Earth review was delightful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you didn't like the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer! It's one of my favorite series. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fun! One thing I've noticed is how so many bloggers seem to have gotten started around that timeframe- 2011-ish to 2014 or so. I mean there are tons before and after that obviously, but... it just seems to be a really commn starting point! anyway- lol about Insurgent- I remember when those books were ruling the world haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I ever read Dead Beautiful, but I'm pretty sure at one point I owned it. Hemlock was great, but the sequel kind of did have that dreaded love triangle. Made me not want to pick up the third book, so I ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your letter to the earth. Sigh about the Insurgent review... although I read the end of Divergent and then Insurgent/Allegiant back to back (as in, I read them for two days straight only to stop to sleep, eat, and use the restroom) I want to look back on Insurgent me and say "Oh sweet, summer child..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a lot of fun reading your post! Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always painful to find typos in your reviews.

    ReplyDelete