Saturday, April 13, 2019

Short and Simple Reviews: Untold & Unmade by Sarah Rees Brennan

This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)

Note: These books are 2 & 3 in the Lynburn Legacy Series. My full review for book one can be found here.


Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan
It's time to choose sides....

On the surface, Sorry-in-the-Vale is a sleepy English town. But Kami Glass knows the truth. Sorry-in-the-Vale is full of magic. In the old days, the Lynburn family ruled with fear, terrifying the people into submission in order to kill for blood and power. Now the Lynburns are back, and Rob Lynburn is gathering sorcerers so that the town can return to the old ways.

But Rob and his followers aren’t the only sorcerers in town. A decision must be made: pay the blood sacrifice, or fight. For Kami, this means more than just choosing between good and evil. With her link to Jared Lynburn severed, she’s now free to love anyone she chooses. But who should that be?

A darkly humorous take on Gothic romance, Sarah Rees Brennan's Lynburn Legacy weaves together the tale of a heroine desperate to protect those she loves, two boys hoping to be saved, and the magical forces that will shape their destiny.
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository


Review
I had to reread Unspoken before this book to refresh my memory and to be honest I did not enjoy Unspoken as much as I did the first read. I gave it 3.5 stars. I liked this book, but I liked it less than Unspoken. I'm not quite sure why exactly. I think part of it was just my changing taste and part of it was just that I wasn't in the mood. This series is getting increasingly dark and a lot happens in this book. The characters are going through a lot and my heart hurt for them. This book continues the weird juxtaposition of humor with terrible/terrifying situations. Because of how dark the series is getting, this felt odd rather than a nice comic relief. What also drove me nuts was that many of the characters were doing stupid things/not listening to each other. The romance is a lot more evident in this book, but there's a lot of random spontaneous kissing and I had trouble keeping track of who kissed whom. 

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it




Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
Powerful love comes with a price. Who will be the sacrifice?

Kami has lost the boy she loves, is tied to a boy she does not, and faces an enemy more powerful than ever before. With Jared missing for months and presumed dead, Kami must rely on her new magical link with Ash for the strength to face the evil spreading through her town.

Rob Lynburn is now the master of Sorry-in-the-Vale, and he demands a death. Kami will use every tool at her disposal to stop him. Together with Rusty, Angela, and Holly, she uncovers a secret that might be the key to saving the town. But with knowledge comes responsibility—and a painful choice. A choice that will risk not only Kami’s life, but also the lives of those she loves most.

This final book in the Lynburn Legacy is a wild, entertaining ride from beginning to shocking end.
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



Review
It was hard for me to get into this book. I kept taking breaks from it until, only 40-something pages in, I put it aside for a couple of weeks. I was very tempted to give up on it. I wasn't feeling interested and not really in the mood. I was tired of reading about terrible things and stressing about the characters making terrible decisions. But, I really needed to finish the series, so I picked it back up. I ended up liking the rest of the book a lot more. The pace really picked up and I connected more with what was happening in the story. There was still a lot of terrifying things in the book, but I really wanted to see how the series would end. Overall, I liked this series, but I don't think it's really the type of series I go for anymore and Unspoken is still my favorite out of the series.

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it

1 comment :

  1. I've heard iffy things about this series. I feel like it's one of those series that if I see it somewhere and it's pretty cheap than I might pick it up, but otherwise I'll probably pass. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete