Saturday, April 6, 2019

Short and Simple Reviews: Secret Series (Books 2-5) by Pseudonymous Bosch

This is a place for books that I didn't fully review. Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)

Today on Short and Simple Reviews I'm "reviewing" books 2-5 in the Secret series by Pseudonymous Bosch. I did not read book one recently at all, only the rest of the series, so those are the only ones I can remember enough to review. I really enjoyed reading this series, so if you need a fun middle-grade series to read, this series is a great option.


If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
Dangerous secrets lie between the pages of this book.

OK, I warned you. But if you think I'll give anything away, or tell you that this is the sequel to my first literary endeavor, The Name of This Book is Secret, you're wrong.

I'm not going to remind you of how we last left our heroes, Cass and Max-Ernest, as they awaited intiation into the mysterious Terces Society, or the ongoing fight against the evil Dr. L and Ms. Mauvais. I certainly won't be telling you about how the kids stumble upon the Museum of Magic, where they finally meet the amazing Pietro!

Oh, blast! I've done it again. Well, at least I didn't tell you about the missing Sound Prism, the nefarious Lord Pharaoh, or the mysterious creature born in a bottle over 500 years ago, the key to the biggest secret of all.

I really can't help myself, now can I? Let's face it - if you're reading this, it's too late. 
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository


Review
When I read The Name of This Book Is Secret I thought it was fantastic! For some odd reason though, I did not get around to continuing the series until now, almost seven years after reading the first book. I think I tried to check this book out from the library, but it wasn't available so it was forgotten. This book does a great job of catching the reader up on previous events with little footnotes and summaries for those like me who couldn't remember the first book. I actually got into this book fairly quickly and I immensely enjoyed it. This is such an odd series and I love it for that! Some elements in the book feel so random, but everything is still so thought out! I really love how the book is narrated and how Bosch engages the reader, the book written as if talking to the reader, and all the measures Bosch goes through to keep the secret hidden! Overall, even though it has been a while, I was still able to enjoy this book and my feelings towards the series remain positive. I also made sure to check the next book out of the library immediately so the same mistake wouldn't happen again.

I hereby give this book
4 Stars
Meaning: Amazing!




This Book Is Not Good For You (Secret, #3)
Between the pages of this book lies the secret to the best-tasting chocolate in all the world. I promise, your taste buds will tingle. Your palette will sing! Oh no, have I accidentally tempted you to read this book? I will warn you, however, the most delicious things are never good for you...and this story is particularly scrumptious!

In this tooth-rotting adventure, Cass's mom has been kidnapped by the evil dessert chef and chocolatier, Señor Hugo! The ransom...the legendary tuning fork. Can Cass and Max-Ernest find the magical instrument before it's too late? Will they discover the evil secret ingredient to Señor Hugo's chocolate success?

If you're tempted, take a taste, but just remember...this book is not good for you. 
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



Review
The Secret series continues and just like the last book, I found this one to be enjoyable. There is a lot of oddities going on in this book, just like the last one, and I found it amusing keeping track of all the weird situations that Cass and Max-Ernest end up in. I felt bad for Cass because her mother had been kidnapped and she couldn't tell anyone else what was happening. There is a lot of chocolate in this book, which is why it's not good for you! I thought the uses for the chocolate were interesting although some parts in this book made me want to not eat chocolate. Same goes for the tuning fork. I thought it was really interesting, but putting an unwashed, hundreds of years old object in food and drink drove my OCD a bit crazy. The narrator continues to interrupt the story in interesting ways. As this book drew to a close, the reader gets a lot more information (a lot more than the narrator likely intended!) and ended in a very suspenseful way!

I hereby give this book
4 Stars
Meaning: Amazing!





This Isn't What It Looks Like (Secret, #4)
The Secret Series continues in this dangerous and daring fourth adventure.

Cass finds herself alone and disoriented, a stranger in a dream-like, medieval world. Where is she? Who is she? With the help of a long-lost relative, she begins to uncover clues and secrets--piecing together her family's history as she fights her way back to the present world.

Meanwhile, back home, Cass is at the hospital in a deep coma. Max-Ernest knows she ate Time Travel Chocolate--and he's determined to find a cure. Can our expert hypochondriac diagnose Cass's condition before it's too late? And will he have what it takes to save the survivalist? 
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository


Review
Other reviewers found this one to be lacking compared to the other books. I can see why because Cass is wondering in time, but unconscious in our time. Meanwhile, Max-Ernest is trying to figure out how to save her. This does sound a bit boring, but I actually really liked this one. It was actually my favorite one so far. I love time travel, so I liked seeing that come into play. It was also interesting seeing the history of the Midnight Sun and the Terces Society. The book also touches on how written history is not always accurate. Cass's character is really strong in this one, in fact, she becomes a stronger character with every book. The Secret is, of course, still secret, but Cass is close to figuring it out. Again, the narrator is fantastic, just like the last books in the series.

I hereby give this book
4 Stars
Meaning: Amazing!





You Have to Stop This (Secret, #5)
The finale to the New York Times bestselling Secret Series!
I always feared this day would come. A secret is meant to stay secret, after all. And now we've come to this: the fifth and final (I swear!) book in my saga of secrets.
A class trip to the local natural history museum turns dangerous, or perhaps deadly--and I don't mean in the bored-to-death way--when Cass accidentally breaks a finger off a priceless mummy. Forced to atone for this "crime" of vandalism, Cass and her friends Max-Ernest and Yo-Yoji go to work for the mummy exhibit's curator, only to be blamed when tragedy strikes. To clear their names--and, they hope, to discover the Secret--the trio must travel deep into a land of majestic pyramids, dusty tombs, mysterious hieroglyphs, and the walking dead. Egypt? Or somewhere much stranger . . .

In the midst of it all, the Secret still lurks. You're out there, reading and talking about it, and now my life--and chocolate supply--is in the greatest danger yet. So please, with a cherry on top, I'm begging you: you have to stop this!
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



Review
So the Secret series has come to an end and the Secret is out. No, I'm not going to tell you the Secret. One thing I can say is that opinion on the Secret is divided. Some folks were disappointed with the Secret, others weren't. I'm of the latter. Honestly, I fully expected to never get the Secret. I fully expected the Secret to having been ripped out of the book by Bosch. I also read A Series of Unfortunate Events and was extremely let down by the fact that I got absolutely no answers, just a lead-up to answers. So, I was already on guard and you know what? I am satisfied. I actually think it's kind of funny and completely fits the tone of the series. Also, there were many other things that were answered that had nothing to do with the big Secret because there were other things that were more important. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this series and maybe one day I'll have to reread them when I want to read some fun middle-grade books. I don't know if I'll read the author's other series because I'm not sure how he will translate to another series, but maybe I'll pick it up one day.

I hereby give this book
4 Stars
Meaning: Amazing!




No comments :

Post a Comment