Saturday, April 27, 2019

Short and Simple Reviews: The Second Summer of the Sisterhood & Girls in Pants

This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)


The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, #2)

With a bit of last summer's sand in the pockets, the Traveling Pants and the Sisterhood that wears them embark on their 16th summer.

Bridget: Impulsively sets off for Alabama, wanting to both confront her demons about her family and avoid them all at once.

Lena: Spends a blissful week with Kostos, making the unexplainable silence that follows his visit even more painful.

Carmen: Is concerned that her mother is making a fool of herself over a man. When she discovers that her mother borrowed the Pants to wear on a date, she's certain of it.

Tibby: Not about to spend another summer working at Wallman's, she takes a film course only to find it's what happens off-camera that teaches her the most.

  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository


Review
I liked this one okay enough. I couldn't remember the first book so I had to keep looking up details online so I wouldn't get the girls mixed up. The story switches between the four girls, sometimes within very short periods (a page of one girl, a page of the next, etc.). Sometimes it was annoying because the girl we were focusing on never did anything or I was more interested in what another girl was doing, but doing so did also sometimes showed how close the girls were (and how some summers, nothing interesting actually happens). I had to keep reminding myself that the girls were teenagers and were bound to make stupid decisions. Of the girls, I was incredibly frustrated with Carmen and Tibby. Carmen acted really bratty because her mom was dating someone and Tibby was making friends with the wrong people. I had to remember that they were bound to make stupid decisions and they did eventually realize that. I was more interested in what Bridget was doing because she was staying with her Grandma that she hadn't seen since she was really young, but was pretending that she was someone just looking for a summer job. Her story was one of the more heartfelt ones in the bunch. 

Overall, I was annoyed at points, confused at points, but I also wanted to see how these girls were doing. I admittedly am jealous that these girls are such close friends because I never had friends like that. While I am not wowed by this series, I will likely keep going because I own the rest of the books and I am curious to see where these girls will be when they are older.
I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it



Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, #3)

The Pants first came to us at the perfect moment. That is, when we were splitting up for the first time. It was two summers ago when they first worked their magic, and last summer when they shook up our lives once again. You see, we don't wear the Pants year-round. We let them rest so they are extra powerful when summer comes. (There was the time this spring when Carmen wore them to her mom's wedding, but that was a special case.) Now we're facing our last summer together. In September we go to college. And it's not like one of those TV shows where all of us magically turn up at the same college. We're going to four different colleges in four different cities (but all within four hours of one another? That was our one rule). We're headed off to start our real lives. Tomorrow night at Gilda's we'll launch the Pants on their third summer voyage. Tomorrow begins the time of our lives. It's when we'll need our Pants the most.  

  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



Review
My feelings toward this book are similar to the last book: It is an okay read. I liked parts of the individual stories, I like how the book ends in a motivation/inspirational note, and I love the message of friendship in these books, but I must admit that not a whole lot actually happens in these books. That's not surprising considering that these books detail the summer of teenage girls and sometimes summers can be pretty uneventful. While there are major moments for these girls in each of their summers, if each girl only had their own book, it would be pretty short. I did like this book a little better than the last book because the girls are a little more mature. Carmen was my least favorite last time because she was a bit of a brat. She was still a brat at the beginning of this book, but her story turned out to be one of my favorites because she really seems to be growing as a person. Lena's story was another one I liked. Even though not a whole lot happened in her story, I liked seeing herself see others through her art. Bridget's story was my favorite in the last one but in this book, she was one of my least favorites. She has matured, but her story turned into a romance and I preferred them as friends. As far as Tibby, not much happened in her story. Most of the eventful things in her story happened at the very end where she crosses into another girl's story and she is still making decisions that I don't really agree with.

Overall, I liked this book and there are moments when I feel emotions and I do like the fact that they are growing a little, but this is one of those books where if you stand back a little bit, you realize that it was pretty uneventful. I will be continuing this series. I own the next book and I look forward to seeing these girls the summer after their first semester of college.

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it

No comments :

Post a Comment