Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Songs That Get Stuck in My Head

Hosted each week by That Artsy Reader Girl, it's a meme for listing the top ten for everything bookish.

Good morning, folks! This week's topic is anything goes as long as it's about audio! I love to listen to music and audiobooks, but when I'm not listening to anything, my brain is playing some tunes. Today I thought it would be interesting to talk about earworms, those pesky songs that get stuck in your head!

Now, I'm not talking about when you're listening to a playlist and after you take your earphones out the last song you listened to plays around in your head. No, no, no. I'm talking about those tunes that sneak up on you. The ones that pop in whenever you are just going about your day. And today I am listing some of the songs I've found to have the pesky habit of getting stuck in my head.

1. Burning Love
Specifically the cover version from the end of Lilo & Stitch. For some reason, it is always that version that gets stuck in my head and it gets stuck in my head all the time. This is the song that my brain loves to default to whenever it can't think of another song to play on repeat in my head. This is likely a side effect from being obsessed with Lilo & Stitch when I was eight.
2. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
This song is just so easy to get stuck in my head. Also, if this song is stuck in my head, I'm definitely singing it out loud.
3. Anything from Schoolhouse Rock
This one is kind of cheating because I'm grouping a whole bunch of songs together, but I grew up with Schoolhouse Rock and it is so so easy for me to get Schoolhouse Rock songs stuck in my head.  Just today I had Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla stuck in my head because my Mom said a line from the song. I decided to link up Three is the Magic Number though because it is the reason I love the number three so much.
4. Ghostbusters Theme
This one is really strange because I have never seen Ghostbusters. I know, I know. I need to fix that. It's just odd that it's in my head so often, sometimes it's just the tune, other times it's with the lyrics.
5. Indiana Jones Theme
I have a habit of making nonsense tunes when I'm anxious or don't want to think about something. For a while though, it would always turn into the Indiana Jones theme which would, of course, put the song in my head for a while. By the way, I have indeed seen all the Indiana Jones movies
6. Why Should I Worry
Another song that's been stuck in my head since childhood. This one is from Oliver and Company if you didn't know. Most of the time I just get the chorus stuck in my head on repeat.
7. Macarena
Do I really need to explain this one? It is such an earworm.
8. Six Flags Theme
I associate this song as Six Flag's theme song and even though it has been a long time since I had heard this song, it still gets stuck in my head. Just the other night this popped into my head as I was trying to fall asleep.
9. Move It Move It
Part of the reason this one gets stuck in my head so often is because my middle school used to play this song every single day to warn us that the first class of the day was about to start. Needless to say, I don't exactly have positive memories towards this song because I would prefer to forget about the embarrassment that was middle school.
10. Smooth Criminal
Again, it is for some reason always a cover version, specifically the one by Alien Ant Farm and I honestly don't know why. I haven't exactly heard this song for a while, original or cover, so I don't know why this one pops up in my head or why it is always the Alien Ant Farm version.

BONUS!
You know when you get a song you don't like stuck in your head so you try your hardest to think of another song to get it out of your head? Well, here are two ridiculous songs that I know word for word and when I don't want a certain song stuck in my head, these are my go-tos.

I Need to Meet Richard Dreyfuss

My Name Is Nick
This song is not on Youtube but is on Bandcamp. If you click on the album cover above you can hear this ridiculous song.

Sidenote: I found these songs separately, but it turns out these guys are friends and actually perform comedy musicals together!




So, did I get any songs stuck in your head? What songs seem to be earworms for you?

10 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles). If I hear that song it's my head for DAYS, seems like. And schoolhouse Rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! The Macarena! So many wedding and school disco flashbacks 😊 Great list.
    My Audiobook Wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The macarena? Ahhhh, I'm in sixth grade again! Much love for Schoolhouse Rock, though. I don't know if you've ever read Ready Player One, but one of SHR's songs plays a role in the finale..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Macarena reminds me so much of school discos when I was a kid!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/03/26/top-ten-tuesday-204/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to all of these! I especially love the Lilo and Stitch and Oliver and Company soundtracks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love your taste in music. These are some great songs.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good god, it seems like it's always the most random things that get stuck in your head. Lately, for me, it's been Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart because it's being used for some commercial. On the bright side, at least I like that song? :D

    This is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo, nice list!! I've been stuck with "I'm With Neil" by The Phenomenauts.

    Here's a link to my TTT post: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2019/03/top-ten-tuesday-audiobook-freebie-my.html?showComment=1553617757328#c4963295880076597634

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to move it move it... sorry they ruined that song for you. That sucks.

    I tend to sing the Minecraft version of "500 Miles" now... "500 Chunks"... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Lilo & Stitch and all the Elvis songs get stuck in my head too.

    ReplyDelete