Monday, November 10, 2014

Bookish Rants & Rambles: Recommending Books

Bookish Rants and Rambles is basically where I either rant or ramble about something dealing with books.

It's been awhile since I've done one of these, but just today I was thinking about my pet peeves in recommending books.

1. Recommending the obvious
Yes, no one has read every book, but there are some books that almost everyone has read and if not, have at least heard of it. The most common offenders are Hunger Games, Twilight, and Harry Potter.
There are others, but if you even attempt to recommend me these, my opinion of you will be very very low. Yes, not everyone has read these, but those who have wanted to probably have or some may already plan to! And everyone has heard of these! If not, you must be living under a rock!

2. Recommending your own book
I see this a lot on Goodreads. Someone asks for a book recommendation and an author replies with their own book! I'm okay with authors promoting their books, as long as it's in a separate Goodreads post, but it's just too much to tell people to read their book.

3. Recommending books I've already read
I can understand this one. You can't possibly know what all someone has read. On Goodreads, though, someone may ask for books like _____ or list some of their favorites. It's annoying when someone comments and lists the same exact books!

There are more things about book recommendations that bother me, but these are the big ones. Thankfully, more often than not, I get great recommendations!
What book recommendation pet peeves do you have?

No comments :

Post a Comment