Saturday, October 3, 2020

DNF List: August & September


Every month I'm going to list the books I did not finish (or DNFed) from the last month. I'm trying to do better about giving up on books I'm not enjoying, so I have been DNFing books a lot more.




Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)Maia Tamarin’s journey to sew the dresses of the sun, the moon and the stars has taken a grievous toll. She returns to a kingdom on the brink of war. The boy she loves is gone, and she is forced to don the dress of the sun and assume the place of the emperor’s bride-to-be to keep the peace.

But the war raging around Maia is nothing compared to the battle within. Ever since she was touched by the demon Bandur, she has been changing . . . glancing in the mirror to see her own eyes glowing red, losing control of her magic, her body, her mind. It’s only a matter of time before Maia loses herself completely, but she will stop at nothing to find Edan, protect her family, and bring lasting peace to her country.

YA fantasy readers will love the sizzling forbidden romance, mystery, and intrigue of Unravel the Dusk.
How far did I get? 140 Pages
DNF Review
It’s disheartening to say that I couldn’t finish this book. I remember loving the first book, but I struggled to get into this one. The writing is still fantastic, but the story was weirdly paced. Everything was happening so quickly, and I had no clue what was going on half the time. Every scene things would come out of nowhere, or be dropped. I guess this is a thing and we’re moving on, just kept running through my head. I also never felt that connection to the characters. I’ve been in a reading slump lately so I worried that that was why I was struggling, but it seems like other readers are having similar problems with the book. I just felt like I was forcing myself to get to the end, which isn’t a great feeling. I hope others end up having a more positive experience.





EssenceAutumn escaped a cult, but now she realizes she's fallen into another.

Growing up in San Francisco’s Centrist Movement, sixteen year-old Autumn Grace has always believed emotions—adrenaline, endorphins, even happiness—drain your Essence and lead to an early death. But her younger brother’s passing and a run-in with a group of Outsiders casts her faith into question.

Ryder Stone, the sexy, rebellious leader of the Outsiders, claims Essence drain is nothing more than a Centrist scare tactic -- and he can prove it.

Autumn follows Ryder to his Community of adrenaline junkies and free spirits in Yosemite National Park, and they introduce her to a life of adventure, romance, sex, drugs and freedom. But as she discovers dark secrets beneath the Community’s perfect exterior, she realizes the more she risks in search of the perfect rush, the further she has to fall. 
How far did I get? 12%
DNF Review
I found the cult aspect of this book interesting, but I quickly realized that the focus of the book was instead going to be about the MC finding some hot guys and getting into dangerous situations. It's just not my cup of tea, so I'm going to set this book aside.




Chantress Alchemy (Chantress, #2)Lucy is the last Chantress, the only remaining girl who can sing magic into the world. Since she defeated the evil Lord Scargrave, England has changed - and not for the better. With crops failing and the people rebelling, Lucy is called urgently back to King Henry's court. His Inner Council is convinced that making gold through alchemy will save England. But a critical element to the alchemical process has been stolen. Lucy is tasked with finding it with her magic... or else. And until she succeeds, the castle is on lockdown.

Court too has changed. Scargrave's brutal Chantress-hunter has become King Henry's closest advisor. Lucy's beloved Nat has fallen out of favor and is shunned by his colleagues. Their romance means trouble for both of them. Worst of all, something goes wrong with Lucy's magic. The palace is a labyrinth, and there’s a monster at its heart - a monster who may have the power to defeat Lucy once and for all.

Amy Butler Greenfield returns to the beguiling world of Chantress for a suspenseful tale of courtly intrigue, music, and magic in Chantress Alchemy. 

How far did I get? 50 Pages
DNF Review
I didn’t dislike the book, but I realized I just didn’t care what was going on which isn’t a great feeling. I remember thinking Chantress was fine as a stand-alone and I think I hoped this book would expand somewhat but it just didn’t feel necessary. I will admit that it has been seven years or so since I read book one and that my tastes have changed a lot since. I’m just going to let this one go and move on to another book.


Where Dreams DescendIn a city covered in ice and ruin, a group of magicians face off in a daring game of magical feats to find the next headliner of the Conquering Circus, only to find themselves under the threat of an unseen danger striking behind the scenes.

As each act becomes more and more risky and the number of missing magicians piles up, three are forced to reckon with their secrets before the darkness comes for them next.

The Star: Kallia, a powerful showgirl out to prove she’s the best no matter the cost

The Master: Jack, the enigmatic keeper of the club, and more than one lie told

The Magician: Demarco, the brooding judge with a dark past he can no longer hide

Where Dreams Descend is the startling and romantic first book in Janella Angeles’ debut Kingdom of Cards fantasy duology where magic is both celebrated and feared, and no heart is left unscathed.
How far did I get? 100 Pages
DNF Review

So, I don't know if it's my mood or the book, but I just couldn't get into this. It got to the point where I was avoiding reading because I just wasn't interested enough in this book. I think this book has interesting concepts and ideas but I'm just not invested in the characters. Kalli is a hard character to like. Once I got to the competition, I lost interest entirely and I really shouldn't have! Other reviews mention that this book is too long and I have to agree. While a lot of the writing is beautiful, I felt like I was just waiting for the book to get to the point. Maybe it gets better, but I need to read something else. I think I hoped for this book to fill the hole the Caraval series left, but it just doesn't. I think others will enjoy this book, I just struggled for some reason.

 


Warrior
First an outcast, now a hero.

But her fight rages on.

Kira, the yellow-eyed demon slayer who fiercely protected her kingdom—and the crown prince—has been proclaimed the Dragon Musado of the prophecy. With the defeated the evil shaman.

But it wasn’t enough.

Hansong is in chaos. The Demon Lord’s minions have infiltrated the city, treason is brewing among the military ranks, and Kira is buried by the overwhelming loss of her parents. She’s also plagued by the annoying feelings that blossom whenever she’s around Jaewon. But she is determined that nothing will stop her from finding the second treasure needed to fulfill the Dragon King’s prophecy. Not even the army of half-breed demons hot on their trail. If only she could learn to trust others…

Her father always said one person can change the world. Will it be Kira?
How far did I get? 50 Pages
DNF Review
I honestly didn't get very far before putting this book aside. I was unsure about keeping this book on my TBR in the first place because it's been seven years since I read book one and I remember thinking book one was okay. Right away, I just struggled to know who was who. The book tried to give a recap, but I didn't feel invested in the characters or the story. I didn't dislike what I read, but I had no energy for it. It just seems like another case where I need to reread book one to understand this book, but I didn't like book one enough to do that. I'm just going to pass on finishing this series. 

No comments :

Post a Comment