Saturday, February 22, 2020

Short and Simple Reviews: The Farm & The Lair

This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)


The Farm (The Farm, #1)
Life was different in the Before: before vampires began devouring humans in a swarm across America; before the surviving young people were rounded up and quarantined. These days, we know what those quarantines are—holding pens where human blood is turned into more food for the undead monsters, known as Ticks. Surrounded by electrical fences, most kids try to survive the Farms by turning on each other…

And when trust is a thing of the past, escape is nearly impossible.

Lily and her twin sister Mel have a plan. Though Mel can barely communicate, her autism helps her notice things no one else notices—like the portion of electrical fence that gets turned off every night. Getting across won’t be easy, but as Lily gathers what they need to escape, a familiar face appears out of nowhere, offering to help…

Carter was a schoolmate of Lily’s in the Before. Managing to evade capture until now, he has valuable knowledge of the outside world. But like everyone on the Farm, Carter has his own agenda, and he knows that behind the Ticks is an even more dangerous threat to the human race...
  Goodreads / Amazon  / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository


Review
This was a reread because I needed to refresh my memory in order to read book two. My feelings are pretty much the same as the first time I read the book. This book is a dystopian vampire book featuring a society where zombie/vampire creatures are all over the country and teenagers are put into farms for "protection". I think this book has some interesting ideas, but it does read a lot like other dystopian books. This follows three characters, Lily, Mel, and Carter. Lily and Mel are twin sisters living in a farm and Mel is autistic. I really liked Mel's perspectives and how there was an autistic character because that is something I don't often see in YA. I can't say how accurate her portrayal is though. Lily is your typical dystopian protagonist, trying her hardest to survive, to protect her sister, and everyone seems to think she is special. Carter is her love interest. Even though I am kind of tired of dystopian books now, I did like reading this book. I do think there are other books that do a better job of a vampire dystopian (like The Immortal Rules) but I overall did like this book.

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it




The Lair (The Farm, #2)

In the battle against the vampiric Ticks, humanity was slowly but certainly headed for extinction. For months, twin sisters Lily and Mel had been “quarantined” with thousands of other young people being harvested for their blood—food for the Ticks. Finally escaping with a few friends, the twins are separated—and must continue the fight on their own . . .

After making it to a resistance base camp in Utah, Lily learned to survive at all costs. But when a Tick attack decimates the fighters, Lily and her pregnant friend, McKenna, decide to make the hard trek north to Canada—and safety.

Meanwhile, Mel is being taught how to survive by the very vampire that turned her. Living without her sister is hard, but dealing with the fact that her autism was cured by the vampire bite is an even bigger challenge.

But when a monstrous betrayal places Lily in mortal danger, Mel must set out to find her, save her, and begin to unravel the empire of destruction that the Ticks have built.   



Review
It took me a bit to get into this book. While the series has some interesting dystopian ideas, this book follows a lot of the typical middle-book plotlines. The characters are now part of a rebellion, trying to survive outside what they just escaped, and the main couple separates for most of the book. This made me not as interested in the book because I could tell there would be middle-book syndrome. Thankfully, though, the pace picks up and even when the characters are separated and there are some high stakes scenes. This book changes up the narration a little and I'm not sure why. We still follow Lily, Mel, and Carter, but Carter's is in first-person for some reason instead of Lily. As for Mel, I had some problems with her portrayal in this book. *Highlight for Book One Spoilers* Mel is autistic and at the end of book one, she is turned into a vampire. In this book, it is clear that her turn effectively made her no longer autistic which didn't sit well with me. She does show that she is upset by this change because she was fine with who she was before and didn't want to be anyone else, so the book acknowledges the issue, but I didn't like how the book took the autistic character and tried to "cure" her. *End of Spoiler* Anyway, I also found the romance annoying. Carter spends most of the book being overprotective of Lily, even though she proved in the last book she can do things for herself. I just didn't really care about their relationship. The book does get interesting near the end and ends on a pretty big note, but I honestly don't think I will read the last book. It's not at any of my libraries and I am not invested enough to want to buy a copy. Also, I get the feeling that Mel and Sebastian will be a thing and no, I do not want that to happen. 

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it


No comments :

Post a Comment