Saturday, January 4, 2020

Short and Simple Reviews: Three Rancheros Series by Kate DiCamillo

This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)
Today I have some short reviews for the Three Rancheros series!


Image result for raymie nightingaleRaymie Clarke has come to realize that everything, absolutely everything, depends on her. And she has a plan. If Raymie can win the Little Miss Central Florida Tire competition, then her father, who left town two days ago with a dental hygienist, will see Raymie's picture in the paper and (maybe) come home. To win, not only does Raymie have to do good deeds and learn how to twirl a baton; she also has to contend with the wispy, frequently fainting Louisiana Elefante, who has a show-business background, and the fiery, stubborn Beverly Tapinski, who’s determined to sabotage the contest. But as the competition approaches, loneliness, loss, and unanswerable questions draw the three girls into an unlikely friendship — and challenge each of them to come to the rescue in unexpected ways. 
  Goodreads / Amazon  / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository


Review
I listened to this book on audio and thought that the audio was very well-done.  I did not connect with this book as much as I expected to, but I still thought it was a great book. I loved the Three Rancheros and the wonderful friendship featured in this book (Unfortunately this is the only book in the series with the three of them together). Raymie is dealing with various complex issues that she does not quite understand. Her father has left her mother and Raymie believes that if she wins the Little Miss Central Florida Tire competition, her father will come home. Her voice does feel authentically young, although I did have to keep reminding myself that she was only ten. I could not fully connect with Raymie in this book. Louisiana and Beverly's characters felt stronger than Raymie's in the book which was strange since this is her book. Even though we see her go through her own struggles, she was mostly reactive in the scenes featuring the three girls. She did seem "normal" in comparison to the other girls, which is probably why she melted into the background at times. Still, this was a wonderfully written book. As I am writing this review I have since read the entirety of the Three Rancheros series and I loved those books even more. I really liked how the whole series is set-up.
I hereby give this book
3.5 Stars
Meaning: I liked it, but it wasn't quite amazing


Louisiana's Way Home


From two-time Newbery Medalist Kate DiCamillo comes a story of discovering who 
you are — and deciding who you want to be.

When Louisiana Elefante’s granny wakes her up in the middle of the night to tell her that the day of reckoning has arrived and they have to leave home immediately, Louisiana isn’t overly worried. After all, Granny has many middle-of-the-night ideas. But this time, things are different. This time, Granny intends for them never to return. Separated from her best friends, Raymie and Beverly, Louisiana struggles to oppose the winds of fate (and Granny) and find a way home. But as Louisiana’s life becomes entwined with the lives of the people of a small Georgia town — including a surly motel owner, a walrus-like minister, and a mysterious boy with a crow on his shoulder — she starts to worry that she is destined only for good-byes. (Which could be due to the curse on Louisiana’s and Granny’s heads. But that is a story for another time.)

Called “one of DiCamillo’s most singular and arresting creations” by The New York Times Book Review, the heartbreakingly irresistible Louisiana Elefante was introduced to readers in Raymie Nightingale — and now, with humor and tenderness, Kate DiCamillo returns to tell her story.

  
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



Review
I listened to this book on audio and, like Raymie Nightingale, the audio was fantastic. I finished it fairly quickly. In Raymie Nightingale I found myself the most curious about Louisiana. Her situation seemed very strange. She has a confident personality but she does not quite understand everything. Since I was so curious, I was excited to dive into this book from her POV. Right away Louisiana's Grandma tells her that they are leaving town. Louisiana does not get to say goodbye to her friends (this book takes place two years after Raymie Nightingale), so this book does not feature the three friends together. I liked learning more about her history and her situation, and some things Louisiana learned along with me. Her voice and personality are also a lot different than Raymie's. Louisiana is very innocent about many things, but she oftentimes pretends to be an adult, which she should not have to do (and she is put in this situation multiple times in this book). In this book, we also see that she sometimes has an unusual way of looking at things, and this too felt true to her character. I loved the cast of characters (even though some were not likable). I especially loved the Allen family. Like the companion book, this does touch on some heartbreaking moments, but the ending is heartwarming. Overall, this is a great book.I hereby give this book
4 Stars
Meaning: It was amazing!



Beverly, Right Here
Revisiting once again the world of Raymie Nightingale, two-time Newbery Medalist Kate DiCamillo turns her focus to the tough-talking, inescapably tenderhearted Beverly.

Beverly put her foot down on the gas. They went faster still.
This was what Beverly wanted — what she always wanted. To get away. To get away as fast as she could. To stay away.

Beverly Tapinski has run away from home plenty of times, but that was when she was just a kid. By now, she figures, it’s not running away. It’s leaving. Determined to make it on her own, Beverly finds a job and a place to live and tries to forget about her dog, Buddy, now buried underneath the orange trees back home; her friend Raymie, whom she left without a word; and her mom, Rhonda, who has never cared about anyone but herself. Beverly doesn’t want to depend on anyone, and she definitely doesn’t want anyone to depend on her. But despite her best efforts, she can’t help forming connections with the people around her — and gradually, she learns to see herself through their eyes. In a touching, funny, and fearless conclusion to her sequence of novels about the beloved Three Rancheros, #1 New York Times best-selling author Kate DiCamillo tells the story of a character who will break your heart and put it back together again.



Review
Like the last two books, I also listened to this one in audio. Also like the last two books, the audio was fantastic.

I loved Louisiana's Way Home and when I first started this book, I was not sure if I would love this book as much. In Raymie Nightingale, I liked Beverly, but I was not very curious about her. Yet, as I kept reading (or listening to) this book, I found myself drawn into her story. Like the last book, we do not see the three friends together. This one takes place four years after Raymie Nightingale and two years after Louisiana's Way Home. Beverly has been friends with Raymie for these four years but after her dog dies, she takes off. This book shows Beverly as more than just the tough girl she was in the first book, but the voice was distinctly hers. Running away, she has to act like she is older, finding a job and a home, escaping from what she feels like she has to escape from. It is interesting that we never really know what she wants to run away from. Yes, we do technically know because we know how Beverly feels at times, but her dog dies before the start of the book and her mother is also not in the book. Even without them being there, we still understand their impact, just like we understand the friendship between the Three Rancheros without them being together. I do find it interesting that the book touches on grieving for a pet because I feel like that type of grief is not shown in books a lot (usually the pet dies at the very end so we do not see the people grieve and even if it is shown earlier in the book, it does not show the emotions). Like the last book, the characters were phenomenal. I loved Iola, the elderly woman Beverly ends up staying with, and I loved Beverly's friendship with Elmer! The ending was phenomenal and it made me sad to end this trilogy! I wish I could see more from these girls!

Overall, I really liked this series. I liked how each girl got their own book and how the books grew with them. I do not know which one is my favorite, but probably either Louisiana's Way Home or Beverly Right Here. Someday it might be nice to go back and read this series rather than listen to them. I do recommend this series.
 
I hereby give this book
4 Stars
Meaning: It was amazing!


No comments :

Post a Comment