Sunday, December 29, 2019

Short and Simple Reviews: The Fear, Sunrise, and Angel Fever

This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)
Today I have some reviews for my Backlist Challenge!
NOTE: All of these books are the third book of a series. I do not recommend reading the short review if you have yet to reach this point in the series.

21888731

The sickness struck everyone sixteen and over. Mothers and fathers, older brothers, sisters, and best friends. No one escaped its touch. And now children across London are being hunted by ferocious grown-ups who are hungry, bloodthirsty, and not giving up.
DogNut and the rest of his crew, in search of the friends they lost during the fire, set off on a deadly mission from the Tower of London to Buckingham Palace and beyond, as the sickos lie in wait. But who are their friends and who is the enemy in this changed world?
  Goodreads / Amazon  / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository


Review
It has been a while since I have read The Dead, eight years to be exact. For some reason, I never got around to picking up this book until now. I loved the previous two books, giving them both 4 stars, though love is a weird term to use for this series. This series is terrifying and gory and is not enjoyable to read, but I guess I found the series captivating. I still find it captivating, though not as much as I used to. This book follows multiple characters and groups of kids, even some zombies, but it mostly follows DogNut and his group. My memory of the last two books is foggy, but this one did a great job of recapping things and I never felt lost. We do see a lot of characters from the previous books which is interesting. I like how things connect, but since I have that foggy memory, it did not make a big impact on me. Higson does do a great job of creating this terrifying world, interesting characters, and slowly connecting everything together.

But, I think I am done with this series. Yes, this is interesting, but I am not as interested in these books anymore. Even though I am giving this 3 stars, I had a hard time with the gore and I just do not like picking up apocalyptic books anymore. Maybe it is also weird for me now because, when I read the first two books I was fifteen, now I am twenty-three and would be one of those in the series craving the flesh of children. Not really something I want to think about. Anyway, while this one ended on a cliffhanger, I think I will stop reading these books and read books that are more like my current taste. 
I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it




Sunrise (Ashfall, #3)The Yellowstone supervolcano nearly wiped out the human race. Now, almost a year
after the eruption, the survivors seem determined to finish the job. Communities wage war on each other, gangs of cannibals roam the countryside, and what little government survived the eruption has collapsed completely. The ham radio has gone silent. Sickness, cold, and starvation are the survivors' constant companions.

When it becomes apparent that their home is no longer safe and adults are not facing the stark realities, Alex and Darla must create a community that can survive the ongoing disaster, an almost impossible task requiring even more guts and more smarts than ever — and unthinkable sacrifice. If they fail . . . they, their loved ones, and the few remaining survivors will perish.

This epic finale has the heart of Ashfall, the action of Ashen Winter, and a depth all its own, examining questions of responsibility and bravery, civilization and society, illuminated by the story of an unshakable love that transcends a post-apocalyptic world and even life itself.
  
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



Review
This is yet another book in which it took me a long time to get to. I read Ashen Winter and here I am, seven years later, finally finishing this trilogy!

The book does do a decent job of reminding the reader what has just happened. I remember very little of the past two books except for the basic plot of book one (guy MC going to find family at Uncle's farm after supervolcano. Gets a girlfriend somewhere along the way). We do come into the story after a major battle. A neighboring town has taken Warren and there are many injuries and deaths in the wake of this event. I admit that when I first started reading this book, I was not so sure if I would finish it. This book has a lot of dark elements, and I have been reading too many dark books lately, and I was thinking that I no longer liked apocalyptic books. But this is the last book in the series and I really liked the previous two books, so I stuck to it! 

And I am so glad that I did. While the beginning started out slow, as I read, I really wanted to see things through. I got attached to these characters again and I was hoping for them to, well, find hope. And the story does pick up. We see less darkness and more hope. Even though there are still some very dark scenes, the characters grew so much. When I finished the book, I felt happy, optimistic, and proud of what the characters have done. The first part was a 3-star book, but the end was 4 stars, so I give this book 3.5 stars. 

Overall, this was a great ending to the series. This series showed such a realistic apocalyptic event (one I worry about every day. I really want my missile silo) and I am glad that I finished this. There is news of another book coming out in the future, but I am not sure if it will ever come out. If it does, though, I will read it.
I hereby give this book
3.5 Stars
Meaning: I liked it, but it wasn't quite amazing



Angel Fever (Angel, #3)

As half-angel Willow strives to save the world from her parasitic otherworldly kin, romance and tension heat up to a climactic finale.

In the devastated remains of the world, millions of people live in "refugee" camps provided by the angels who have all but enslaved humanity. As this angelic stranglehold tightens, Willow and Alex are recruiting and training new Angel Killers while struggling to hold ground on the celestial battlefield. But Willow continues to have feelings for Seb, and her love and resolve are tested as a shattering revelation sends Alex on a separate journey. Now that the final battle versus the angels is about to begin-and the fate of the world hangs in the balance-each of them must face the consequences of their own choices. Will love endure? Will the human race survive?



Review
It has been a while since I read the first two books in the series so I was going into this one with very little memory. Thankfully the book does a great job of catching the reader up. I feel like I did not enjoy this book as much as the first book, but I feel like that was more because my tastes have changed. I no longer reach for paranormal or dystopian books as much, and this book is a combination of both of those genres. I do think this dystopian world with angels is very unique and it does create an interesting, yet frightening, world. The book is a little on the long side and it spans over a year, with some chapters barely moving. This made the plot feel sluggish at times, but there are some action scenes and quite a few twists [highlight to view spoiler] Although, I knew that Alex was not dead. I know that authors sometimes take the risk of killing main characters and love interests in the last book, but since we never saw his body and since Seb was moving on, I knew he was going to have a Disney moment [end of spoiler]. I was not a big fan of the romance when it showed up, but I usually never am. Overall, this was a solid ending to the series.

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it

No comments :

Post a Comment