Saturday, October 26, 2019

Short and Simple Reviews: Strings, The Torn Wing, and Redeemed


This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)
Today I have various short reviews for books on my Backlist 2019 challenge!
StringsSometimes the strings that tie us down are the same strings that set us free.

Sixteen-year-old Pia has always lived in a mysterious facility where mechanical strings control her existence. She plays apprentice to her father, Gio, in performing nanotech designs for the Company, and she soon suspects there are diabolical human forces behind the manufactured reality of her world.

Though her childhood memories and the origins of the strings remain strangely elusive, she begins to find solace with the introduction of two unlikely friends: daring, irrational Sofia, and calm, tender Marco.

As the truths of the past and present unravel together, Pia must find a way to free herself from her strings and escape the facility before facing the wrath of the unstable head of security, Mr. Davis. But to gain her freedom, she must navigate the dangers posed by Davis and by her suspicious new friends to find the real identity of the puppeteer.

If Pia can succeed in revealing the secrets of the Company, she may very well find the independence she so desperately seeks. But in her controlled world nothing is as it seems, and the closer she gets to the truth, the graver the consequences.
  Goodreads / Amazon 


Review
This book has a really unique idea and the premise is what carried me through the book. The main character cannot remember a time in her life where she did not have strings, where those above didn't have the ability to control her. It just sets up an interesting, but terrifying idea. There is definitely some dark stuff in this book and it is difficult to read at times. The pacing is slow at the beginning and I had to take a break because it was taking me a while to read it and I wanted to make sure it wasn't a reading slump. Still, this is a very unique book. I hereby give this book

I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it





The Torn Wing (The Faerie Ring, #2)London 1872 -

A bloody escape, a deadly threat, a shocking revelation...

As an orphan who stole the Queen's ring - only to find the ring was a reservoir that held a truce between the world of Faerie and the British Court - Tiki’s greatest fear suddenly becomes all too real: the fey have returned to London seeking revenge. As war escalates in the Otherworld, Queen Victoria’s youngest son, Prince Leopold, is attacked. In order to protect her family and those she loves, Tiki needs to know the meaning of an fáinne sí, the birthmark that winds around her wrist. But will she be brave enough to face the truth?

  
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



Review
This is the sequel to The Faerie Ring and while I liked that book (I originally gave it four stars), it's been seven years since I've read it. I don't remember anything about that book anymore. This book was fairly easy to get into despite my memory loss, as it rarely referred to the last book's events. There were certainly a lot of surprises in this book, and the story is great, but I didn't feel as connected to the characters as I wanted to. I felt like I was reading this book because I thought I had to, rather than because I really wanted to. To be honest, I don't have any strong feelings towards this book, positive or negative. But having no feelings towards a book isn't a good reason to keep reading, so I think I'm going to give up on this series. The book ended on a big note, but I don't feel that curiosity, that need, to keep on going.
 I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it




Redeemed
Jonah’s new twin must time travel and face off against his siblings’ worst enemy in order to save the future—and his family—in the eighth and final book of the New York Times bestselling The Missing series, which Kirkus Reviews calls “plenty of fun and great for history teachers as well.”

After traveling through history multiple times and finding out his original identity, Jonah thought he’d fixed everything. But some of his actions left unexpected consequences. His parents—and many other adults—are still stuck as teenagers. And now Jonah has a new sibling, an identical twin brother named Jordan.

As odd as all this is for Jonah, it’s beyond confusing for Jordan. How does everyone in his family have memories of Jonah when he doesn’t? How can his annoying kid sister Katherine speak so expertly about time travel—and have people from the future treating her with respect? A few rash moves by Jordan send them all into the future—and into danger. What if he’s also the only one who can get them back to safety, once and for all?



Review
NOTE: Spoilers if you have not read Revealed
So, this is the last book in the Missing series! I thought that Revealed ended pretty well, so I found it odd that there was one more book. What's even stranger is the fact that this is not from Jonah's POV. At the end of Revealed Jonah comes home after saving time to find that three dimensions have merged and he now has a twin brother, Jordan, who had been raised in another dimension. This book is from Jordan's POV. I'll be honest, I did not like Jordan's narration. I can understand where he is coming from, he has no idea who Jonah is (and Jonah seems to be wise and better at everything), has no knowledge of time travel, and is scared for his parents, but this made him an annoying character at points. As a reader, we know what Jonah went through so it's annoying to have it repeated and it's tiring to read from the perspective of someone who is perpetually confused. The book itself was even confusing because things went so quickly or were explained so strangely that I had to reread parts to see what happened. Also, since Jordan knew nothing about time travel, he kept making stupid decisions. Another reason why I had difficulty getting into this book was that there was a large focus on Second and his background. This brought up some interesting things, but it has been a while since I read the book Second was featured in so some parts did not have as much of an impact on me. The book did end on a nice note, but overall, this was my least favorite in the series, although this is a great time travel series.
 I hereby give this book
3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it

No comments :

Post a Comment