Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: Eight Books I Guess I've Been Avoiding

Hosted each week by That Artsy Reader Girl, it's a meme for listing the top ten for everything bookish.

This week's topic is Top Ten Books I'm Avoiding and I was originally just going to list the oldest books on my TBR, but most of those are just "It's been several years since I read book [insert number here] and I have a terrible memory so I keep putting off the next book". There are still some of those books on this list but hopefully, there will be a little more variation. "Avoiding" is a big term for these books because I'm not really avoiding them. If I'm really avoiding a book, it gets taken off my TBR. These are just books I never seem inclined to pick up for one reason or another.


Why am I avoiding? I checked this book out from the library (right after the book came out) and before I got the chance to read it, I was scrolling through Pinterest. A recommended pin came up from a book board. I thought it was going to be something funny (I used to read a lot of book humor pins on Pinterest) so I clicked on it and... it was a HUGE SPOILER FOR THIS BOOK! The book just came out and someone posted a screenshot on Pinterest without any warning that it was a spoiler. I was so upset that I turned the book back into the library, hoping that I would forget the spoiler and come back later, but nope. I'm still pissed about this.

Why am I avoiding? Okay, so this is one of those books where I completely forgot what happened in book one, but...I also avoided it because I knew it was going to rip my heart in shreds and I wasn't ready for that. This is on my TBR for September so maybe I'll actually get around to reading this before the post goes live? (I doubt it though)

Why am I avoiding? Another Maas book. I wasn't spoiled on this one. I actually preordered this but I couldn't bring myself to pick it up. Partially because this is such a big book, but I also did not love the previous two books as much. I still liked them, I gave them 4 stars, but I could feel my interest in the series waning and I was just never in the mood to read this.

Why am I avoiding? Yes, I don't really remember the first book, but I mainly keep putting this one off because it is such a huge book! It is a brick! And I own the next two books as well and seeing them all next to each other just intimates me! I have too many other books I need to read and many of those have less than 700 pages, thank you very much!

Why am I avoiding? I loved Snow Like Ashes. When the sequel came out I immediately read it and was disappointed. It had a bad case of middle-book-syndrome. My interest in the series waned and when this book came out I didn't immediately want to read it. Now I'm avoiding it because I'm not sure if it will be as great as book one or let me down again like book two. I also remember nothing about this world.

Why am I avoiding? Ah, this is a classic case of "It's been several years since I read book [insert number here] and I have a terrible memory so I keep putting off the next book". I think I actually bought this book the day it came out and it has sat on my shelf for the past seven years. I remember loving this series but I have very vague memories from the books. I would have to actually read the previous four books again before reading this one. All of the previous books are 500+ pages and I don't have time for that!

Why am I avoiding? Not only do I not remember books one or two but... this is another brick. You know what, I don't like picking up big books. They're scary. I can tell from the page length that either terrible things will happen or nothing will happen. And I have so many other books I need to read! I don't want to speed a week reading the same book when I can read seven in the same amount of time! Anyway, I have also been putting off this book because I'm not sure if it's one I'm still interested in.  It's about angels, which I don't really read anymore, and book two introduced a love triangle, which I'm also not a fan of. 


Why am I avoiding? Okay, okay, I also don't remember the previous books. I know I sound like a broken record but I'VE READ OVER 1,000 BOOKS SINCE I READ THE PREVIOUS BOOKS! It's hard to remember all of that. Anyway, that's not the main reason I'm avoiding this book. It has a super low average rating on Goodreads because it has, I guess, a disappointing ending. I want to finish the series but...I don't want to get disappointed.


That's all, folks! There are plenty of other books I've kind of been avoiding, but again, they're all sequels and I just don't remember the previous books. I have so many books on my list that I still need to read that have this issue. So, I figured I'll just stop here.

What books have you been avoiding?

No comments :

Post a Comment