Saturday, May 4, 2019

Short and Simple Reviews: Follow Me Back & Netherworld

This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)



Follow Me Back (Follow Me Back, #1)
Tessa Hart’s world feels very small. Confined to her bedroom with agoraphobia, her one escape is the online fandom for pop sensation Eric Thorn. When he tweets to his fans, it’s like his speaking directly to her…

Eric Thorn is frightened by his obsessive fans. They take their devotion way too far. It doesn’t help that his PR team keeps posting to encourage their fantasies.

When a fellow pop star is murdered at the hands of a fan, Eric knows he has to do something to shatter his online image fast—like take down one of his top Twitter followers. But Eric’s plan to troll @TessaHeartsEric unexpectedly evolves into an online relationship deeper than either could have imagined. And when the two arrange to meet IRL, what should have made for the world’s best episode of Catfish takes a deadly turn…

  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository


Review
This book felt almost like a guilty pleasure for me. I found the plot to be very improbable. The book is about a relationship between a teenage girl and a famous singer after they communicate via Twitter. Except the girl has no clue that she is talking to the famous singer, she thinks she is talking to a fellow (female) fan. So, yeah, sounds a bit improbable and kind of like a teenage girl's fantasy, but I found the mystery within this story very intriguing and wanted to keep reading because of that. It was actually to the point where I did not want to put the story down because I really wanted to know what was going to happen. Honestly, I'm a fan of Catfish (which is another guilty pleasure of mine), but the main reason why I like the show is because of the mystery and I felt like I got that with this book, but at a much darker level.

This book ends very abruptly and kind of oddly. I'm glad it stayed away from happily ever after, but I'm honestly not sure what happened with the ending. I would need to read the sequel to find out. I want to read the next book, but it's not at the library and I'm not sure if I really want to own a copy, so we'll see.

3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it

Netherworld (Soul Guardians #4)




Kara had only just begun to enjoy her life as a mortal with David—when they are pulled back suddenly into the world of the supernatural. The Legion has made an important discovery: a new Elemental child, whose whereabouts are unknown. Kara immediately prepares herself for battle, and comes face to face with the evil Seirs—a group of mortals devoted to the Netherworld.

What’s worse, someone close to her is taken. Kara and her friends embark on another dangerous journey to seek out this child. But is this being really an Elemental—or something else entirely?  

  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



Review
I think maybe I'm just not as interested in this series anymore. I didn't think it was that long since I read the last book, but I guess it's been five years! Whoops! I remember the concept of the angels and the afterlife being really interesting and I remember how after reading the last book I really wanted to read the next book! I guess that took a while. This book did not really impress me all that much and maybe that is because I'm a bit tired of paranormal books. I kept losing interest in the story and the plot felt like it dragged. There's an interesting plot to this book, with the characters venturing into the Netherworld, and there were plenty of new plots introduced, but... I just couldn't bring myself to care. I didn't feel attached to the characters and the main villain in this book acted like such a stereotype that I did not feel the threat. I liked this series, but I feel like I've outgrown it. I don't really feel the need to continue the series.


I hereby give this book
2.5 Stars
Meaning: I almost liked it, but not quite.

No comments :

Post a Comment