Saturday, March 30, 2019

Short and Simple Reviews: Fury's Fire & The Eternal War

This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)



Fury's Fire by Lisa Papademetriou
At the end of Siren's Storm, the Sirens were defeated, and now the town of Walfang is once again a peaceful beach community.

Or is it? Gretchen and Will are still haunted by the memories of the night the Sirens were destroyed—Gretchen because she can't remember what happened and Will because he doesn't know how to tell Gretchen what he saw. He doesn't even understand what he saw, but he does know now that Gretchen is more than what she seems, more than a human girl. And at the same time, he is more in love with her than ever.

Gretchen knows there's something wrong, too. She feels like an alien in her own body, but she doesn't know why. And she feels a presence stalking her at every turn. Have the Sirens returned to Walfang? Or has some other force come to claim her?
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository


Review
I was wary of picking up this book because I originally read the first book, Siren's Storm, eight years ago in 2011. To be honest, I had no recollection of anything that happened in that book, just that it had something to do with sirens (and I probably got that idea from the title). Thankfully, it was not incredibly difficult to get into this book. The book does remind the reader of the events of the last book on multiple occasions. Part of this was because Gretchen did not recall the events from the end of Siren's Storm, so she is trying to remember things. Some details were still foggy for me, but I knew enough to follow the story and understand the characters. 


While this book was dual POV, there was a stronger focus on Gretchen in this book as she is trying to understand what exactly she did at the end of the last book and she has a threat against her. There is a lot more transformation for her character, which I can't go too far into detail because of spoilers. Overall, I don't have strong feelings for this book. When I finished the book all I felt was glad that I got a book off of my TBR instead of any emotions attached to the book. It was an okay read and I can say this series is complete, but there wasn't really anything more there for me. 

I hereby give this book

2.5 Stars
Meaning: It was okay



The Eternal War (TimeRiders, #4)
Liam O’Connor should have died at sea in 1912.
Maddy Carter should have died on a plane in 2010.
Sal Vikram should have died in a fire in 2026.

But all three have been given a second chance—to work for an agency that no one knows exists. Its purpose: to prevent time travel destroying history...

A time wave has struck that alters the entire history of the American Civil War. Abraham Lincoln has followed Liam into the present from 1831and now the world is in a dangerous state of limbo...

If the TimeRiders can’t return Lincoln to the past, the Civil War will never end. Can Maddy persuade two colonels on either side of no man’s land to cease fire long enough to save the future?
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository



Review
This is yet another book where it's been a few years since I've read the previous books in the series. This series does a really great job of catching the reader up since most of the books have a contained story. I love time travel and I find the entire concept of this series fascinating, so I was glad to get back into this world and see these characters again. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this book though. In the beginning, I was very entertained by this book. The Time Riders find out that Abraham Lincoln has died before he was supposed to. They go back to save him, but Lincoln overhears them when they think he's unconscious and he follows them to the year 2001. I found this entire part interesting and seeing the effect this had on the time was also interesting because what would the world look without Abraham Lincon? But as the book continued the story felt a bit slow. The characters were mostly either trying to fix the time machine or traveling to get back to the time machine. Overall, I did like this book even though I felt like I had to push through the second half of the book. I would like to continue this series, but it looks like this is the last book at any library near me. It seems the rest of the series was not published in America so I may have to order the next book online if I wish to continue.


3 Stars
Meaning: I liked it

No comments :

Post a Comment