Sunday, May 31, 2015

Bookish Rants and Rambles: False Security

Bookish Rants and Rambles is basically where I either rant or ramble about something dealing with books.

So, there's a trend in books where every book in a series ends in a cliffhanger. It is a horrible feeling when you stay up late finishing a book only to reach a cliffy and face a year of waiting for the next book. I hate this feeling and I come across it so often. It's because of this that when I read a book in a series, I come to expect that feeling and and constantly dreading the end.

You might be thinking, where are you going with this?
Well, I have been misled multiple times--either by myself, Goodreads, or other readers--into believing that a certain book is a conclusion to a series. Sure, I am saddened to have a series end, but an ending means I finally get my answers, that the characters will (hopefully) get their happy ending, and no more cliffy. 

Sometimes, I go into thinking a book is the last book, only to reach the end, which happens to be a lovely cliffy! This is what I call FALSE SECURITY. I was not expecting an ending like that and I would've been more on guard if I knew that it was not the last book. 

Anyway, this is just a subject that has been on my mind thanks to Salt & Stone. I was fully expecting this series to be a duology, so I was thrown by the fact that there was, well, no conclusion. Only a cliffy. 

Have you ever had this false security when it comes to series?

No comments :

Post a Comment