Saturday, July 26, 2014

Short & Simple Reviews: The Year of Secret Assignments & The Warrior Heir

This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)



The Year of Secret Assignments (Ashbury/Brookfield, #2)
Three Aussie girls become pen pals with three guys at another school in this delightful, high-spirited read by Feeling Sorry for Celia author Jaclyn Moriarty.
 Told entirely through letters, diary entries, emails, and other writing, Moriarty's novel introduces us to Emily, Lydia, and Cassie -- all students at Ashbury High -- who begin writing to their Brookfield High counterparts through the schools' organized pen pal project. Readers learn quickly that each girl has her own writing style and that at two of the Brookfield boys (Seb and Charlie) seem to be smitten with Lydia and Emily. The only trouble is Cassie's pen pal, Matthew, a shady character who first sends her short, threatening letters and then becomes strangely sweet toward her. Nobody can figure out why Cassie keeps writing to him, but after she has a crushing meet-up with Matthew, Cassie discovers -- with the help of her friends and the Brookfield guys -- that he hasn't been honest about his identity. All could be ended there, but when Charlie helps take revenge and Brookfield High gets mysteriously vandalized, the group comes together to deliver justice and save the endangered pen pal project.
  Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble



Review
This was such a cute, fun book!
I hardly every laugh-out-loud while reading a book and this was one of those book that you could hear me laughing constantly!
If you want to read a book that's unique, funny, and just a cute contemporary I highly recommend this book! It will put a smile on your face and you won't want to stop reading!

And, by the way, you don't have to read the first book before this one. This book is technically a sequel, but it'[s a companion book and you won't be confused. I didn't read the first book and I was perfectly fine!

I hereby give this book
5 Wheels!
Meaning: A new favorite!


The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)
An epic battle between good and evil...
Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity. Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high schoolers. Then one day Jack skips his medicine. Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before. And it feels great - until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.
Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself: he is Weirlind, part of an underground society of magical people who live among us. At their helm sits the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game - a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death. The winning house rules the Weir.
As if his bizarre heritage isn't enough, Jack finds out that he's not just another member of Weirlind - he's one of the last of the warriors - at a time when both houses are scouting for a player.


Review
I'm kind of disappointed in this book. I read The Demon King not too long before this book, and absolutely adored it, but this book? Not that much.
I didn't hate this book, but it's basically just "okay" to me. My biggest issue was that I had difficult being interested in the book. This sucks because the premise of this book is so interesting, but everything just fell flat.
I didn't particularly care about any of the characters, the writing didn't really work for me, and I was all-around uninterested in the book. And I really hate saying this, but I was falling asleep.
Closer to the end the book got a bit more interesting, but not enough.
I know that the author is a great writer and I get the feeling that her writing gets better over time (this is her first book), so I will read the companion books, but this one just wasn't for me 

I here by give this book
2.5 Wheels
Meaning: It was okay, but I almost liked it.

No comments :

Post a Comment