Sunday, September 29, 2013

REVIEW: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

12930909
You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand…

Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town… until River West comes along. River rents the guest house behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard.

Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more?

Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery... who makes you want to kiss back.

Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.


Blending faded decadence and the thrilling dread of gothic horror, April Genevieve Tucholke weaves a dreamy, twisting contemporary romance, as gorgeously told as it is terrifying—a debut to watch.



THE RUN-DOWN 
Violet's parents have been in Paris for the past few months, leaving Violet and her twin brother, Luke, alone. They have been running out of money and decide to rent out the guesthouse.
A teenager named River West is the one that rents the house, but strange things begin to happen...

MY THOUGHTS 
It's hard for me to outright say how I feel about this book.
There are things that I absolutely love about this book, and things that I don't like at all.

Let's start with what I did like: The story.
Yes, we may have seen this story before.
Stranger comes to town, strange things happen, yadda yadda yadda.
But this most definitely had some differences! (Which I can't say because... SPOILERS!!!)
Anyway, the story was made up of creepiness! For some completely odd reason, I adore creepiness in books!
And I did say creepy, this was not a scary book.
But the level of creepy and the detail in the story made me feel like I was actually in the book...


Now for what I didn't like: The romance.
I couldn't quite understand the romance. I couldn't understand why Violet wanted to be with River, especially when she knew that he has hurt people and didn't really regret it


I honestly believe that the good outweighs the bad.
Did I dislike the romance? Yes, but the romance took a backseat to the mystery of the town.
All in all, this was a good creepy story and I'm curious to see what's next!



I hereby give this book:
3 Wheels!
Meaning: I liked it, but I didn't quite love it!




No comments :

Post a Comment